Trail users may have seen some girdling (removing outer bark) activity recently on small caliper Norway Maples along the Struble Trail. This is being done as a means to weaken the stems and ease identification for removal this winter.
The Facilities and Parks Department employs the practice of invasive plant and tree removal from the native ecosystems in the parks and along the trails as part of our overall conservation of the natural resources.
Norway Maple (Acer platanoides) is a non – native alien maple tree that has naturalized into the marginal forest and into the interior forests of Pennsylvania. While it was brought to the United States for its shade and vigor in the urban environment, this species is highly invasive and will often win the competition for sunlight and soil resources over its native cousins.
Norway Maple leaves have similar structure as Sugar Maple, but have a white sap easily found on the leaf petiole.
About Struble Trail
Struble Trail, with 2.6 miles currently open, follows the East Branch of the Brandywine Creek as it flows towards Downingtown. Sitting on the original rail bed of the Waynesburg Rail Line, the trail is generally flat, and although some undulations occur, the terrain is considered low in user difficulty.
Struble Trail connects to various neighborhoods’ trail systems, and is often utilized to commute between home and work. Connections are found to Downingtown-Kardon, Dowlin-Forge and Shamona Creek Parks, and the Uwchlan Woods and Williamsburg Developments. This last connection is a severe climb, but fortunately only for a short distance.
On the 5.2 mile round-trip from the zero mile mark at Norwood Road, visitors can enjoy shade, running waters, wildflowers and fishing opportunities. The 0.9 mile portion of the Brandywine Creek between the bridges at Dorlan Mill and Dowlin Forge Roads features a Delayed Harvest fishing area administered by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC). This is a special regulation, artificial lure-only trout fishing area, stocked annually with brook and brown trout. PFBC regulations apply and a valid PA fishing license is required. This area, easily accessible from Struble Trail, has an open season that is extended beyond the regular trout season.
Robert G. Struble
Robert G. “Bob” Struble was born in Westmoreland County, near Pittsburgh. After graduating from a one-room schoolhouse, he earned a degree in agriculture from the Pennsylvania State University. In 1935 he began teaching vocational agriculture in the Unionville School District, and five years later, started the vocational agriculture program at Kennett High School. In 1946, in its second year of existence, Bob joined the Brandywine Valley Association (BVA).
Over the next 30 years he worked with BVA and its sister organization, Red Clay Valley Association. During this time he helped initiate Chester County’s first landfill and the Conservation School at West Chester University. In the early 1950’s, he was invovled with developing the Brandywine Watershed Work Plan, which resulted in Struble Dam and Lake, Marsh Creek Dam and Lake, Barneston Dam, Beaver Creek Dam, and Hibernia Dam and Chambers Lake at Hibernia County Park. He was also instrumental in developing the Chester County Conservation District and the Chester County Water Resources Authority.
Bob’s connection to Struble Trail began with his work to acquire the property for Marsh Creek Reservoir and State Park. A sewer line was to run from the park to the Downingtown treatment plant following the old rail bed for the New Holland Line. While designing the sewer line, he and others suggested that a hiking and biking trail over the sewer line would be a way for the public to take advantage of the construction. This idea continued after he was elected Chester County Commissioner in 1976. In 1979, the trail became a reality and was dedicated as the Robert G. Struble Hiking and Biking Trail.
Early History of the Rail Line
Struble Trail had its birth as the East Brandywine Railroad Company and later as the Pennsylvania Railroad’s New Holland Branch. A Special Act of the Pennsylvania Legislature, dated March 31,1854, allowed a 28-mile rail ine to be built between New Holland and Downingtown, where it connected with the Philadelphia and Columbia Railroad. In 1860 it was renamed the East Brandywine and Waynesburg Railroad, and in 1861 the 18-mile route from Downingtown to Waynesburg (now Honey Brook) was completed. By 1876 the line extended another ten miles to New Holland, Lancaster County.
The early rail line connected hamlets and stations with familiar names such as Dowlin, Dorlan, Lyndell, Cornog, Springton, Glenmoore and Honey Brook. Cornog was named for the Railroad’s first president, who owned the large, contiguous farm.
In October, 1942 the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Philadelphia Division issued a “Report Covering the Abandonment of the New Holland Branch.” By 1949, an 8.1-mile section from Glenmoore to just west of Honey Brook was officially out of service. The section that is now Struble Trail was placed out of service from 1966 to 1973.
The Rail Line Today
The southeastern section of the rail bed started at its former connection to the Pennsylvania Railroad’s Main Line in Downingtown - 4,920 feet from the start to what is now the Struble Trail at Norwood Road.
Chester County Parks Department manages the multi-use recreational trail. The open, paved section extends 2.6 miles westward from the edge of Downingtown Borough following the East Branch of the Brandywine Creek. Popular with cyclists, hikers and fishing enthusiasts, Struble Trail also intersects with the Uwchlan Trail (Uwchlan Township) at about the 1¾ mile mark and Lion’s Trail, which connects to Kardon Park in Downingtown.
Dowlin Forge, the stabilized ruins of a 19th century iron forge, is just north of the trail at the Dowlin Forge Road crossing. The site, maintained by the Uwchlan Township Historical Commission, has a unique history. For much of the 19th century, John Dowlin and his descendants owned and operated the site’s Mary Ann Forge, blacksmith shop, gristmill, saw mill and company store. By the 20th century, most of the community had disappeared. Surviving buildings and traces of landmarks associated with the iron forge can be found along park trails in western Uwchlan Township. For more information, contact the Uwchlan Township Historical Commission at 610-363-9450.