- Applications are taken Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:00pm, and no appointment is necessary.
- Blood tests are not required.
- The fee is $75 payable by cash or credit card. Please note there is a $2.00 processing fee for using credit cards. Checks and money orders are not accepted. This fee cannot be waived. If for any reason the marriage does not take place, there is no refund.
- Both applicants must be in the office no later than 4:00pm to apply for the license. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- BOTH applicants must appear together in the office to apply for the license. The ONLY exception may apply to an applicant who is in Active Military Service. For more information please call the office at 610-344-6735.
- There is a three-day waiting period before the license is valid so application must be made at least three days but not more than 60 days before the marriage date. See chart below.
|Application Made||Issued Processed|
|Wednesday||Monday (following week)|
|Thursday||Monday (following week)|
|Friday||Monday (following week)|
|*If legal holiday, license is valid next business day|
Marriage License DepartmentChester County Justice Center201 W. Market Street, Suite 2200PO Box 2746West Chester, PA 19380-0989
To receive a copy of the approved waiver, enclude a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Return to top
Officiant of the Marriage
Pennsylvania has no provision for the registration of officiants to perform marriages. Selection of, and arrangements for, an officiant to perform the marriage ceremony are the responsibility of the applicants. Below are a list of judges that performs marriages in Chester County.
- Magisterial District Judges - contact your local jurisdiction.
Non-English Speaking Applicants
Public Record and Publishing of Information
Certified Marriage RecordsA form for requesting certified marriage records is available in the Forms and Documents section. Walk-in requests are processed immediately. Please allow 7-10 working days for processing of mail-in requests. All requests require the following information:
Marriage License Department
Chester County Justice Center
201 W. Market Street, Suite 2200
West Chester, PA 19380-0989
Return to top
An Exemplification is an authentication of the record by a Judge of the Orphans’ Court and the Elected Clerk of the Orphans’ Court.
An Exemplification contains the complete Marriage Application which has all the information provided when the application was made, e.g. applicants place and date of birth, parent information, etc. Official Seals and signatures are on the document.The fee for the Exemplification is $40 payable by cash, credit card or money order only. Do NOT mail cash. A form for requesting an Exemplification is available in the Forms and Documents section or contact the Office of the Clerk of the Orphans’ Court, in person or by calling at 610-344-6335. The process may take 7 to 10 days.
Return to top
If the marriage record is for a foreign country you may need to obtain an Apostille issued by the Pennsylvania Department of State.
An Apostille is used by foreign governments to assess the authenticity of an official signature. It is recognized only by countries that have signed the Convention of the Hague of 1961. For those countries that are not signatories, the Department of State attaches a certification. When the Department of State certifies a document with an Apostille, the department verifies that the person who signed the document is a Pennsylvania official and the department has given “full faith and credit” to the official’s seal and signature. The Apostille is prepared by the Pennsylvania Department of State for documents signed and sealed by the County Elected Officials.